Sunday, September 23, 2007

Death in Real Life

Cancer has taken another person i've known since childhood. This time it was the first neighbor I remember. He helped my mom put my swingset together when my dad "real" dad wasn't there and was very fond of my family. Ironically, my (step)dad went over to his house to visit him today. He went on his own, without my mom or anyone and I am glad he did. I wonder what the death of his friend feels like for him. I know what it feels like for me. It hurts but I am relieved that he is no longer in pain. I feel regret too because I didn't get over to see him in time. I'm glad I communicated at all but should have gone. I feel sadness because I am reminded of the last time I lost someone to this disease. I do wonder though what it feels like now for my dad because the fact that he was over there today meant that he cared more than I would have thought he really cared about anything. I feel bad that my dad lost his friend.

Harry is someone I haven't seen often recently but was someone who was there for the important events. He and his wife were a special couple because I always enjoyed being with both of them. Usually I favor one half of a couple more than the other but not in this case.

If you're still reading about this stranger, it may be because you can relate. If there is someone you haven't seen lately but have meant to, just take the time. That hour it seems you just don't have will be spent later thinking about them when it could have been used wisely in their company.

No comments: