Sunday, December 16, 2007

These Few Things...

It has been a while. I feel like I have abandoned most things in the last month, not to mention this blog. I have a ton I think about writing and if I had an iPhone, I might just send everything to my blog as it came to me, like the people in the commercials seem to do. There would be danger in that I suppose since some of my thoughts are not meant for general broadcast and time to think before I speak (write) is uaually valuable and lends to less regret.

I've seen few films as of late but the two I did see were great:

Enchanted is Disney's latest vehicle and craftily blends and animated storyline with live action. Disney characters have come to life before at Disneyland but they haven't been injected into our reality as they are in this film. It is a spoof of the fairy tale happily-ever-after story that I have certainly never experienced but still allows for the happy ending that I somehow still love to see! This isnt just a chick-flick but could be a good date movie. I can't see a group of dudes piling into the theater to check it out but if your gal wants to go, you'll have fun to. Amy Adams was a delight in her role and Patrick Dempsey was a dreamy as he could get without Dr. Grey lurking in an elevator at Seattle Grace waiting to see him.

No Country for Old Men is by far my favorite film of the year, friend-o. Javier Bardem is completely unrelenting and eerily natural in his portrayal of a man willing to kill anyone to get back the money that belongs to him. I don't want to say much because it is one to just see and then talk about with other people who have seen it and feel as creeped out as you do once they have. Tommy Lee Jones is consistent and plays the Texas Sherriff the way we've come to expect. Josh Brolin gave me the biggest shock on film in recent years because he was actually good. I have been pleasantly surprised by some performances but for all I don't like about Brolin, he was undeniably good in this one.

Atonement is one I haven't seen yet but NEED to see because of the Golden Globe noms. I already recommend it.

The Bucket List is due out on Christmas and teams up Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. I cannot wait. It is the thing I'm most looking forward to on Christmas Day.

Speaking of Nicholson, this month's Men's Journal (cover not on the site yet but it is on newsstands) features Jack on its cover. The interview with Jack, getting his opnion of various aspects of being a man, was entertaining and compelling at once. It gave a great insight (as much as Jack will give) into the man who is a legend. If I were a man, he's one man I'd want to be. I recommend the article to men mostly and also women who are interested.

Last, I am nearly in the holiday spirit though I'm away from home and not going to be there anytime soon, missing the time with family, missing the tree decorating and behind on sending Christmas cards. Yesterday a colleague invited me to go work a toy drive with her and it was a rewarding experience. We didn't get to see the kids receiving the toys but we wrapped probably 60 gifts at least and I felt good about it. It is one of those times for giving and though I would like to think I donate my time and give what I can, I don't unless the opportunity is easy and obvious sometimes as it was in this case. Still, I'm glad I didn't sleep in (beleive me, with jet lag I'd have liked to) and went out yesterday morning. It was a lovely time.

Happy Holidays all...I'll hopefully have time to say hello from the road.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Miss you! I agree with you on No Country and Enchanted. No Country is definitely the best movie I've seen all year. Brolin was good, but Tommy Lee Jones was a surprise for me. I thought I knew his range, but this movie finally proved to me the guy can act!

Javier was awesome too. Maybe the scariest movie villain since Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal.

I just saw Juno...LOVED IT! I recommend it. I thought it was better than the previews, which are pretty funny. TTYL! - Jim