Sunday, May 22, 2011

SNL - A Satisfying 3-Way

Saturday Night Live has not always been hilarious. Sometimes, it hasn't even been funny. But, there are some hosts that a viewer knows will guarantee at least one or two fantastic sketches (Baldwin and Martin come to mind) and at least one or two cast members that will do say something that will garner shameful reenactments later (Wiig as Gilly or the Target Lady; Rudolph as Donatella). So, we keep watching.

This week, was one for the books. When I think back to the last time I laughed for an entire episode, I only need to go back a day and it has been a while. Highlights this season are actually many more than in the past few; Tina Fey, Elton John and now Justin Timberlake. I was thinking back on when I first saw Justin and quite a few things have changed; I did not find the scrawny boy with tightly curled bleached hair anything more than cute for a little boy, I did not imagine that he could act, and I only laughed because let's face it, some N'Sync lyrics were kind of lame. Over time though, N'Sync got more popular and even I bought every CD, Justin Timberlake became a viable and unembarrasing solo-artist and go-to collaborator, and Justin Timberlake the actor emerged.

That brings me to this week's season finale of SNL. Justin was the host, Gaga was the musical guest and Andy Samburg was due for one last SNL Digital Short. Amongst the highlights of this week was the video for "3-Way The Golden Rule" which you can see by clicking the link. The trio was magic and let's not forget Susan Sarandon and Patricia Clarkson both playing Mom. Sure, it isn't "D!@# in a Box" and it is not "Mother Lover" (which also wasn't ---Box) but it was great fun and for this viewer launched Summer.

In general though, last night's episode made me excited about next season. SNL felt like it was back and also like there could be some good repeatable skits that come out of the writers again. "Beerville" was well done and I could not help but see the clear stab at the Tea Party. If the use of "tea bag" over and over again was not a veiled stab at them, it is now. It was fantastic. And, of course there was the Herb Welch skit where Bill Hader's reporter character is ridiculously and uncomfortably hilarious. Who will Kristin Wiig become next year? Will Seth Meyer's "What!?!" kill again? What the hell is Andy Samburg going to sing about next and oooh-oooh-weee what's up with that? We'll see.

SNL is alive and well and last night was worth writing about. It made me laugh when I needed to laugh and (admittedly I DVR'd it) I did not have to use the FF button on my controller except during the real ads. Well done.

On a side note, Lady Gaga's new album drops this week and I don't know about everyone else but I pretty much dig "On the Edge of Glory. Buy it now.

No comments: