Wednesday, June 13, 2007

John Mayer

I know I go to a lot of shows/concerts. I know that I often say the person I saw was great. Tonight I went to Coors Amphitheatre to check out Rocco DeLuca and The Burden, Ben Folds and finally John Mayer. First, I have to say that the entire line up was solid. Rocco is the newest guy of the three and he put on a good show. He has a strong voice and the hardest rock edge of the three which was a good way to kick off the evening. I'm checking him out again at the House of Blues next month. I think the smaller venue will suit him better but he held his own at Coors with a sparse audience in a big venue.

Ben Folds was wonderful. I haven't seen him live before but have been aware of him for about 10 years and from time to time have listed to his work with his band or his solo work. What a vivacious performer this guy is. He's bold because he plays the piano and lets the piano, and his voice, power well over the rest of the band in such a way that you hear every note he is playing and every word he is singing. He enunciates so you don't wonder at the lyrics. I had a lot of fun during his set.

Last but not least, John Mayer. I saw John perform at SDSU's Open Air Theatre about 6 years ago, give or take. He was good then. Now, he is better. That isn't always the case with artists and in seeing John play tonight, looking at the way he led the band, and hearing the way his old songs have developed over time while his new songs have a brilliance all their own, it is clear that John is truly an artist with a respect for music and a clear interest in learning and improving in his art. His lyrics have always been good and they have grown with him. The subjects have moved from girls and high school memories to adult relationships, deeper introspection and social awareness (kudos for Waiting on the World to Change). As a whole his catalog of songs so far make for an enjoyable night of music. John is sexier, more mature, and ever more talented as a performer. I am excited to hear what he does next. If you get a chance to check him out sometime, definitely go see John Mayer.

Thanks for a great show tonight, guys!

No comments: