Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Clinton Wins RI, OH and TX*!

Last night as the numbers were coming in from states outside of Texas, I had no capacity to even process that Senator Clinton was actually really winning. A friend let me know that TX was close to being called for Clinton and even then I couldn't raise the hope too high as I worked in a caucus room that was clearly divided between Obama and Clinton, and seemingly unfavorably so. But before I get to that, I'll start with the beginning for the day which really ended up being just an extension of the day before punctuated by a shower and a 15 minute nap.

Good Morning America was supposed to show up at headquarters at 6am which brought a lot of us into the office at 530am. They ended up covering something else and we just kept on working.

At 630 I headed over to an elementary school where Hillary was to appear between 730 and 830. I had never seen her before so I decided to go to her rally rather than President Clinton's rally. The crowd slowly built and as people arrived they were given signs to wave. I was put on sign duty to make sure a huge sign was held up during the rally. Selfishly, I wanted to be up against the baricade greeting Hillary so I tried to put the sign up in a tree so no one would have to hold it. The strategy proved sound for visibility purposes but with the wind, it still had to be held in place. It paid off when online stories that appeared right after the rally had the tree sign in them. This is small, I know, but holding a sign up for about 2.5 hours gives the sign an importance, at least for the morning. It was nice that the guy running the event liked the placement.

Hillary arrived at the rally along with Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen. It almost looked like a scene from Curb Your Enthusiasm and could have been if Larry David had shown up with his guy, Barack. The crowd went wild for Hillary and when I got a chance to go up to the fence and catch her on her way out, it all came together for me in a way it hadn't before.

In person, Hillary looks softer than she does on television. She is quite pretty and petite, and she was engaged in her brief interaction with each person. She addressed people in the face and was sincere. In my brief interaction I was again renewed as I have been over and over on this trip. It might be the "Blink" factor but right when I saw her in person, I just knew that I was in the right place and doing the right thing. This helped later on when I later arrived at a caucus that was chaos and the most trying part of the entire weekend. I don't have pictures available just now as I'm in the airport in Phoenix but will post one later.

I have to board a plane but I'll continue later.

I do need to say that I am so, so ecstatic about the wins for Hillary and can't beleive I was there. More later.

2 comments:

piratepods said...

Good job with the sign ;). I heard Hillary speak at UCSD...when ERC was dedicated. Doris Kearns Goodwin also spoke (as well as one of Eleanor's Grandchildren). It was amazing and very exciting. See you when you get home.

mike devlin said...

http://rawstory.com/news/2008/Obama_formally_wins_most_Texas_delegates_0401.html

No April fools, sorry.