Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Take 2.

I'm in another airport and though thoughts are still swimming around in my head in some disarray, there is so much more to say about yesterday.

After the Hillary rally I headed back to the office and was sent out to pick up an elderly voter to take her to her precinct. It was actually nice to help someone get to the polls and to make sure that they were about to fulfill the duty. There were two people coordinating transportation for voters who asked for assistance and taking someone was a lot more rewarding than I expected. I also picked up a volunteer who had a horrible travel experience and convinced her to stay in town and help. She seemed fine once we got into the office I hope that she is glad she stayed. I never had a chance to catch up with her as the day wore on.

We made phone calls as much as possible to make sure people remembered to go vote and do the "Texas Two-step" and based on the looks of the caucus, they remembered in droves.

My last order of business for the day was to pick up an elderly couple to take them to their caucus and then stick around and watch the caucus while they participated. Sounds easy enough, right? Five hours later when I left it was with a great frustration in a system that if it's not failing the people of Texas it is insulting them, and a great sense of pride in having gotten through it.

The PRECINCT CONVENTION (aka Caucus)

When I arrived there had to be a thousand people and almost no open space left in the building. There was no order. It was unclear where the primary line ended and those there for the caucus began. The polls were supposed to be closed at 7pm with no more voters entering the line. The place was significantly understaffed with poll workers and also had only 8 voting machines when many more were needed. I learned that the more recent election prior had 12 machines and far fewer voters. Why would they have less machines yesterday when the voting was predicted to be at a high? I have my theories. Anyway, there was issue number one, the voting line was not cut-off when it was supposed to be cut-off and voting did not subside until at least 8pm.

The caucus people were coming into the building non-stop and that added to the disorganization. Actually, it was impressive that the Obama supporters had gotten so far as to segregate themselves from the Clinton supporters. I was truly impressed that regular citizens who had no training in these matters were doing what they were doing and were working together even with the tension between them and their candidates.

Long, long, long story short, I was able to locate the other Clinton volunteers who were at the precinct (one from D.C. actually on the campaign staff, one from L.A., and a couple of others in addition to locals) and very fortunately began to work with an Obama staffer who was also from L.A. We worked together to organize ALL attendees into areas based on precinct rather than candidate affiliation and in an effort I won't get into here we actually began and completed the caucus process.

I am embarrassed at the thought that the TX caucus is considered a valid or appropriate process. I was on the phone with another precinct and spoke with warring self-appointed precinct captains and the on-site judge and was a main leader at my polling place. There were THREE precincts located in one building that was not meant to accommodate this process or these people. It was appalling.

Must go but will write more later. I haven't gotten to the celebration part but again, I am so excited about what will happen next in this election!

No comments: