Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Playing Catch Up

It has been a while and we have mostly your mom to thank for that. Or, maybe my mom. It was Mother's Day and I have been busy. In all of the hours and all of the time away from home, I have had some good times. Here's the Top 10 List in no particular order:

1. Hard Candy: the new Madonna CD is like one long jam. There is one slow number I think but all in all, I'm really digging it. Pharrell Williams is one of the major producers and his influence is definitely there and appreciated. He's clever in laying tracks and his use use of R-L recording. We've only got 4 minutes...

2. Consolers of the Lonely: The Raconteurs also put out a new album and I love it too. Jack White should consider making his "other" band into his primary band unless Meg White is able to tour sometime soon. The Raconteurs' album is a must for fans of White and either of his bands or fans of rock/rock-country who love some good lyrics. "Shades of Black" is the track I'm too into.

3. Wrigley Field: I had the chance to check out the Cubs in their home town. It was a game versus the Brewers who is a team we don't care about much in CA but in Chicago, there is a clear rivalry. Milwaukee is close enough that the fans drive to Wrigley and the stadium gets loud. I bought my first Cubs hat, ate my first dog at a Cubs game and best of all saw my first Cubs victory in person.

4. 29: I'm 29 now. I worked for 13 hours on my birthday but still had time for a nice dinner and a decent day over all thanks to the locals.

5. Forgetting Sarah Marshall: dear Lord...apparently frontal male nudity is ok, as long as it is not of a sexual nature. Jason Segal took full advantage and showed off a few times in this one. I mention it because that's what
everyone's talking about! It was an ok film. There were really funny parts...that's what she said...that were unrelated to Segal's exposure but there were also parts that were just ok. If you like the other movies like it, check it out. if not, don't bother.

6. Iron Man: I haven't seen it yet but it's out and Robert Downey Jr. is doing great. Cheers to RDJ!

7. Success: Things have gone really well for me over the past couple of weeks, professionally. Personally things are good and bad but that's how the see-saw goes. I won't elaborate on the professional or the related personal but I will say that I have overcome some fears of non-success and that has made all the difference.

8. Mraz, Buble, The Breeders and Northern State: I went to four concerts over the past few weeks and they wer eall different but all totally enjoyable. Jason Mraz drops a new album today. I recommend you buy it and listen to it. Don't forget to relax and enjoy. If he comes to your town, go see him. If he happens to be in a town you're in, go see him. I caught him in Chicago and woah! Michael Buble was a Mother's Day surprise for my mom and he was very entertaining. Funny guy, created an intimate setting though he had a crowd of 12.5K and he can belt 'em out. The Breeders packed a small house and made fans very, very happy. The thing I enjoy if an act isn't my favorite is seeing the faces of the people who are seeing an act that is their favorite. Very cool. Northern State brought hip-hop from the east coast to tha West Coast and though San Diego didn't bring a crowd to the Casbah, the people who were there made up for the numbers with sheer enthusiasm for the trio of ladies. Oooh, girl.

9. Elton John: I sat in the 3rd row at the Honda Center, right in front of the man and his piano. Only in looking at the video screens have I ever actually seen him play. This was too real to be good. It was GREAT. Elton brings the same energy he did years ago with even more humbleness than he should even express. I got his autograph, Sir. And, yes, when I did, I cried.

10. NYC: I leave next week and this time it's for vacation. Fabulous!

11. MS Walk: I know it is a top 10 but I wanted to add a thank you to everyone who supported me and Team ProFlowers in this year's MS Walk. The MS Society didn't post the numbers they wanted to but I definitely exceeded my goals! Thank you. www.mswalk.com/rabiahc

2 comments:

Jim said...

While not my fav Madonna album, it has really grown on me. Almost all the songs are interesting and catchy. Needless to say, I'm going to have to go see her at Petco Park when she is in San Diego. Her first trip to San Diego since the Virgin Tour in the 80's!!!! And you have to go see Iron Man...RDJ is perfect.

Jim said...

Got my Madonna tickets! :-)