Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wicked NYC


I'm in NYC, one of my favorite places in the world. I have less than two more days left on my trip and know I won't really want to go. They weather has been awful (cold, windy, rainy) but it is still so great to be here. My mom had a big birthday this year and I decided she HAD to see the city so that's why I'm here, with her and her friend.

The picture, before I forget to mention it, it the sunset on Monday evening, from Top of the Rock...the cool, hip and quicker alternative to the Empire State Building at the Rockefeller Building. That was from the 69th floor.

We saw Wicked tonight and I'd seen it before but it was much different on Broadway. I see now how it makes such a difference to actually see shows here versus at the SD Civic Theater or even in Los Angeles which are both places I've seen this same musical before. Nevertheless, if you haven't seen it, see Wicked wherever you can. It is amazing, clever and touching even the third time!

Anyway, it was a perfect night that could have been otherwise. For some reason I thought the show started at 8pm so I made dinner reservations at an expensive but worth it restaurant for 615pm. A glance at the tickets around 545pm showed us that the show was actually at 7pm...there went dinner before the show.

As a result of the mishap, we were all starving after the show and in good spirits so I was able to get the ladies to check out a new part of town. We headed away from Broadway and walked a longer distance than expected but ended up in Hell's Kitchen where I'd never been before and had a great, inexpensive dinner. It was probably our most enjoyable meal since being in the city and yet another time that proved best laid plans, when abandoned, can lead to the best outcome.

I would write more but we went to Ellis Island this morning at 8am (to avoid the line that was still too, too long) and it is after 1am so time to go! It was a long trip out there but after reading about immigrants' experiences, I shouldn't complain. Gosh I have so much more to talk about but it can wait until tomorrow...I Heart NYC.

1 comment:

Jim said...

I HAVE to see Wicked. I'm exhausted hearing from so many people how good it is. I think Erik, my mom and I are going to go to LA this summer to see it. My friend Ryan has gone like 5 times and LUH-VES it.


As for I Love NY, Madonna says "...other cities, make me feel like a dork..."