Sunday, September 24, 2006

Au revior!


Tonight is our last night in Europe, specifically Paris. Thank you to those who have joined us on our journey. I slacked on the blog and in my personal journal these last few days. Fortunately I have time on a very long plane ride tomorrow to catch up on the personal journal. Those who have kept up with the blog, I am sure that a travel companion of mine or I will you in on the smaller details as time goes by. I will tell you now about a few odd things that have happened here in France these last few days, the highlights if you will.

1. Everybody was Kung-Fu Fighting, at the Palace Versailles!?! This will be hard to tell without the visuals but I'll try. Sandra, Erin and I went to Versailles, the Palace originally built by King Louis XIV. I had been before but it was a place I was excited to see again. We were pretty hungry when we got there and decided to go eat in the "cafe". It wasn't fit for a King, but the Louis' have been gone for a while now. On our way down the stairs into the cafe, we were stopped in our tracks as we saw a woman of about 29 year old tossing her food onto the floor. She was yelling in French at an older couple of about 67 (I am specific about ages only for my own entertainment) who were part of a group of tourists of about the same age. The woman then threw the remaining food, an apple tart perhaps, towards the corner of the room. Once her hands were free, she stood in a Kung-fu position, ready to fight. The older man she was in the debacle with said something to her in what seemed to be a mocking tone though from my perspective, much of French is spoken in a mocking tone. Anyway, from there, the seniors tour group left the cafe, passing us as they moved up the stairs and the angry woman continued to speak to them and pushed her way through the crowd. We never learned what led to her random use of the Kung-fu stance at Versailles other than she was in line for a while and the people said something to her. It was hilarious though. Later, when we were near the Grand Canal in the gardens, we saw a different woman posing for a picture in a Kung-fu stance. She was smiling though and it just occurred to me that maybe she had been in the cafe during the feud. Or, maybe it was Kung-fu day at Versailles.

2. 100's of Rollerbladers and Cyclists: This is not funny but just cool. Our first night back in Paris, we were hanging out on the street, checking out a map and deciding on what to do when suddenly a few police cars came by with lights flashing. I was worried that thing I did the night we were here a couple of weeks ago was coming back to haunt me but they were actually clearing the way for the 100's of rollerbladers and then cyclists that came zooming past. Later, once we were in our hotel room, we heard commotion again and saw from our room the group passing by again. We never found out why. I know I could google it now and list it but I'm on a roll and only paid for an hour at this lab so I'll keep going.

3. Today I saw a bum fight. There were about 8 police officers circled around two bummish-(yeah, I am making up words now)looking guys who were yelling at each other. The larger of the two could not keep his right eye open so I think he was losing the fight when the police arrived.

4. Free Metro Days: We have a dollar (1€40 to be exact) saving tip for those who use the Metro when they are in France. Do as the locals do and participate in turnstile-hopping. It is all the rave with the Parisians. Basically, if no one is looking, and there is a standard turnstile keeping you from the metro line, hop it. You may be first inclined to go under the turnstile as I was the night we arrived but that is anamateure move and can lead to a bruised knee.* Upon observing the locals jump turnstiles, and knowing we would potentially miss our train to Versailles while waiting in the ticket line, we decided to go for it and sneak onto the train. The three of us went under this time vowing to jump from now own. When we arrived at Versailles' station, we noticed that we would not be inconspicuous sneaking through the turnstiles since there were more people around who were watching for such activity. Fortunately, there was an open gate that we were able to pass through unnoticed. On our way back into Paris, the same gate afforded us free admission to the metro. When we arrived in Paris, Erin went under the turnstile because she was wearing a skirt and jumping would be tricky. Casually, I jumped over, getting m my back foot caught on the turnstile and almost falling. Sandra was equally awesome when she lost her flip-flop as she brought her 2nd leg over. No one helped her retrieve the sandal so it was a bigger challenge than my recollection may make it seem. ** If you are up for it, next time you're in Paris, jump!
5.In case you're checking them off (like we are), the sites we fit in during this last leg of the trip: Sacre Coure, atop Monmarte, Arc de Triomphe, Musey d'Orsey (just the outside, it was closing within an hour of my arrival there but still a nice building), Buddha Bar (cool nightspot); and the 25th Annivesrary Celebration of REF, (the trainline), attended by Sandra and Erin where they recieved free Evian water samples and saw a Rollerblade stunt show.

Sandra planned this entire trip and did a wonderful job. Coordinating the 5 of us whotraveledd and getting us to all of our destinations was no easy task. If she ever wants it, she could definitely make a career of travel planning. We had a great time and though each hotel had "character" (3 minutes of hot water in the shower, slanted ceilings, broken A/C) the housing was good and safe and could not have been arranged in better areas.

Since it is the last night in Paris, we are going to check out a few local spots and think of creative ways to finish packing (the biggest challenge of the trip). See you soon I am sure.

Au revior!

*For the record, I lost my ticket and needed it to get out of the metro as the same ticket is required for entry and exit. In desperation and in possession of luggage, I had to sneak through with the help of Erin and Nick.
**For the record, we only did this one day and owe no further explanation! :)

No comments: