Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Arrgh!

It is about time I explain one of the links featured on the blog page, piratepods.com. A few months back, a friend sent out a group email asking if anyone would be interested in working on a new website with her. I wasn't really sure what it would end up being all about but she is someone who I've always thought very highly of, probably since the first time I met her, and I wrote back in a less than timely manner.

Now, I am a pirate. Pirate Pods is a webzine of sorts that began as a place where podcasts of interviews with musicians or bands, recorded using an iPod, could be found and heard by anyone for free. The site is already evolving into much more with interviews with environmentalists, activists, theater-types and soon a film festival director also docking there.

Personally I have conducted about 7 interviews with local bands, one of which has been featured lately in Spin magazine and is currently supporting a new album release with a tour. It has been a wonderful experience speaking with various individuals and also finding myself introduced to music I never would have heard otherwise.

Next weekend, my most exciting interview is upon me. I am traveling to L.A. with two other pirates to attend the Third Annual Artivists Film Festival & Awards and could not be more thrilled. Previously, "Super Size Me" premiered at this festival and this year, "Fast Food Nation" is opening. "Born Into Brothels", and Academy Award winning film was screened at a previous festival as well. I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to attend this festival and hope to interview many people all who are making a difference in the lives of others. The festival honors films and those who work in films that are dedicated to the welfare of children, human rights, environmental preservation and animal rights.

I am very proud of the work I've done so far as a pirate and if you're interested, please give the interviews a listen. You may even find a band on our site that you already enjoy. It's late. Time for me to walk the plank, matey...

No comments: