Thursday, November 02, 2006

A Real Cool Hand

The movie I have seen the most times is Cool Hand Luke. It remains one of my favorite films and one that I never become bored or tired of it. There was a time for the duration of at least six months, when I was about 13 or 14, that I put my VHS copy into the VCR every Sunday afternoon and about 1/2 an hour later, answered "No," to my mom's exhausting and persistent "Aren't you tired of this movie?" interrogation.
I finally replaced that old VHS with the DVD a couple of weeks ago and tonight, my affair with this wonderful work is rekindled. I can't choose a favorite scene but there are probably 20 I could go on about. I see something new each time I watch and I understand differently a line that I did not fully grasp the time before. There is nothing convoluted or even terribly interesting about the story. It is just about a man named Lucas Jackson who loses absolutely everything while working on a chain-gang. You may think, "You say he was in a chain-gang, what could he possibly have to lose?" No matter how little someone may have in the form of possessions or property, there is always something to lose. The crazy thing about Luke though was that he almost always found a way to smile and not in the cliche, he's always happy sort of way. He just seemed to be somehow entertained by it all. I adore that.
I suppose though I don't have a favorite part, I do have a favorite line. It is the line that gives Luke his chain-gang name after he wins a hand of poker. "Sometimes nothin' is a real cool hand" was said and then he became "Cool Hand Luke".
If you haven't seen it or haven't see it in a while, I invite you to check it out and get back to me on what you think. I hope you agree that if anything, it's a real cool film. There is really no point to this entry other than to say that I love this film and I wanted to share the enthusiasm. Thank you for indulging that need. Make some popcorn and enjoy!

No comments: