Monday, January 15, 2007

Golden Globes Review

No surprise, I of course sat before the television from start to finish for tonight's Golden Globe awards.

A list of winners can be found here. I won't comment on all of the awards but here are those that gave me something to talk about.

Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
: This is truly amazing. She was great on American Idol when she was kicked off too soon. This shows that greatness is meant for some, no matter what the defeat early on.

Hugh Laurie, House: "I am speechless. I am literally without a speech." Before I say anything else, it is so fun to hear Laurie in his British accent! I wonder how many people are surprised he's British actually. I'm sure some people were at home saying, "What? Dr. House isn't from here?" Anyway, I fell for House a little later than some but I think it is a wonderful show and Laurie is totally ruthless as Dr. Gregory House. Cheers!

Meryl Streep, The Devil Wears Prada: "I think I've worked with everyone in the room." Meryl made the movie as good as it was. She was ice cold and relentless and in the only part of the film that allowed her to appear vulnerable, she let go just enough as only she could. Brilliant! That's all...

Bill Nighy, Gideon's Daughter: I added this film to my Netflix queue as soon as Emily Blunt was announced (also in The Devil Wears Prada) and though I haven't seen it, I have seen Nighy's work elsewhere and can't wait for this one.

Jeremy Irons and Helen Mirren (2), Elizabeth I: Another that I haven't seen but can't wait to see. Mirren looked extraordinary and with her and Irons in a film, there could have been little question it would be special. Mirren also won for The Queen. Bravo!

Peter Morgan, The Queen: I mention him because his speech is something that, if it is available on YouTube, is worth hearing. Unfortunately he paid attention to the producers when they told him to wrap it up and he was cut short but he made the first political statement of the night and it was well said.

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock: Anyone could have gotten the award in this category and it would have been well-deserved but I am thrilled that it was Alec Baldwin. He has really devised a 2nd career with comedy and it is a joy to see him each week. His speech was lovely and appreciative and be sure to tune in!

Clint Eastwood, Letters from Iwo Jima: It is fascinating to me that Best Foreign Film went to an American director and also that 2 American directors were nominated for creating foreign language films. Haven't seen it but better believe it's on my list of things to do. Shame on the producers of the show for denying anyone but Eastwood the chance to speak.

Ugly Betty: America Ferrara and cast were honored, her individually and also for Best Comedy. Many Congratulations to them. Check it out online, full episodes are available. You may remember America from Real Women Have Curves, a film that similar to this show, made women who did not know they were beautiful understand that they are indeed.

Warren Beatty: This year's recipient of the Cecil B. DeMille Award is a favorite of mine. I met him once, at Dodgers Stadium and was to taken aback that all I could say was, "Bulworth was cool," with a stutter. To that he replied, "Thank you."

Martin Scorcese, The Departed: Just to hear him and see him, the man who looks like a caricature, it was great that he won. I still think this was one of the best film of the year and if you haven't seen it, do that sometime soon. Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg, Alec Baldwin, etc...

Sacha Baron Cohen, Borat: Certainly the most entertaining speech of the night and an unnecessary reminder of one of the nastiest and hilarious "sex" scenes ever filmed! Borat!

Disappointments:

Jack Nicholson: I didn't think he'd win but really wanted him to take one home for The Departed. His presence up front and the frequent mention of him was fun as always.

Jamie Foxx: His presentation of "Dreamgirls" was lame and obnoxious. Love him if you like but I just can't.

L.A. Traffic: Prince missed his award acceptance because he was stuck in traffic. Traffic in L.A. is a bitch for sure. Hugh Grant was cool and had him take a bow once he was there though.

Babel: I still don't get what the big deal is about this movie. I thought it was better than OK, but not the best. Not this year.

DiCaprio: Another time.

"Governor" Schwarzenegger: Please. Is there nothing else going on in our state?

1 comment:

Jim said...

It felt awkward for the governator to present...it just didn't make sense. My favs were the acceptance speeches of Sacha Baron Cohen, Meryl Streep, and Hugh Laurie.

I thought Warren was almost incoherent, but at least he has some talent. All in all, a good night. It did confirm how many movies I need to see before Oscar night though.

I'm going to try to find a theatre with The Departed this weekend, just because the odds of it winning are pretty high (I don't think Babel will get anything but a nomination for Best Picture...and I haven't even seen that movie).

I also thought Helen Mirren was a good choice to win, but she also seemed very odd on stage. Must just be awkward for her.

Love the show though.