Thursday, January 04, 2007

Va a Volver

Volver is Spanish director (my favorite director) Pedro Almodovar's latest film and I am happy to report that it exceeded my expectations when I saw it this afternoon. Of course I did vow to lower my expectations after my disappointments with other films lately but even so, I had the bar set pretty high and I am happy to report that it was a great film and one I recommend to those who don't mind reading subtitles and can appreciate great acting and a great story even when they can't understand the language the actors are speaking.

Volver explores death and the return of the dead in a darkly humorous way...my favorite way, by the way. I think this film is one that would most easily be consumed by American audiences in looking back on Almodovar's previous works, with "All About My Mother", one of his greatest accomplishments and then "Talk to Her" running 2nd and 3rd behind it. It was a less obscure film than his others and at times disturbing, at other times stunning, and most of all funny with the subtlety and darkness that few can accomplish.

Penelope Cruz leads a wonderful cast of Almodovar regulars (think Christopher Guest--there are certain people he always casts and for good reason) in the story of two women, Raimunda and Sole, whose mother passed away but returned from the dead. I would elaborate but it would ruin the movie. Raimunda's husband also experiences death and her daughter Paula is along for the ride as the subject is explored from several angles. The exploration of superstition and rebirth told in this way makes for an interesting film. It is actually really difficult to summarize though so I think I'll just end here and say it gets 4 stars or 2 thumbs up or whatever you'd like. I really need to come up with my own scale soon!

Volver = to return

Before I go, it was fun being at the movies on a weekday afternoon. I was in a theater where everyone else was about 60 or older except a group of girls who were clearly ditching work. This older guy of at least 70 started chatting with me in line and of course the first thing we talked about was the weather. He told me a great story about when he lived in Maine and the weather got down to 40 below. I love those random conversations that last the duration of a stay in line. That old guy, along with Almodovar, made my day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Old guys are HOT!!!!!! And they always get me face down w/ those "weather storys" LOL-

Jim said...

Love Bad Education, if only for the hottie and the wet undies. !!!Es Caliente!!!