Monday, February 26, 2007

79th Annual Oscars

The Oscars have come and gone as of last night and there were some pretty big surprises. For the last couple of years I've been part of an Oscar pool and I never know which way to vote. This year, I went with what I thought would win for the most part, not what I would have wanted to win. In some cases, those views are in sync but often they are not. In a few cases, I would have gotten much closer to winning the pool had I gone with people I wanted to see win. The surprises were pleasant in those cases and disappointing in others. Here is a brief recap of my view (won't go into too many details this time):

Supporting Actor: It was expected that Eddie Murphy would win following the Golden Globes, or, Jackie Earle Hayley who had a standout/comeback performance in Little Children. Instead, veteran Alan Arkin won for his role as one of my favorite characters in a favorite movie of mine, Little Miss Sunshine. This was a great surprise that got me no points but left me all smiles.

Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson was expected to win and did in a tough category. Hers was a great performance though she was the least experienced actress in the category (though not the youngest). Let's hope she doesn't peak here but goes on to do more outstanding work.

Best Actress: Went as expected to the brilliant and also mysteriously sexy-sixty something Helen Mirren for her portrayal of The Queen in The Queen. Any of the nominees could have taken and deserved the statuette in this category though. If you haven't seen the films the actresses represent, please do.

Best Actor: Again, not a big surprise here as Forest Whitaker graciously and gratefully accepted his award. The Last King of Scotland would not have been possible without Whitaker's masterful performance as General Amin of Uganda. It is such a performance that is a delight to see and so earns an Oscar, when another actor in the role is unimaginable. Of course, it would have been great to see Peter O'Toole win and I would have considered that a good surprise.

Best Animated Feature: Happy Feet was not, in my opinion, the best of the 3 nominees. It was similar to Babel, for me. There were too many messages and ridiculous/lengthy situations used to portray the messages. Granted, Happy Feet is animated and would of course seem ridiculous in some ways making it a much different film from Babel, my point should not be lost. Message or preachy films need to be done incredibly well to not offend viewers. This was an unpleasant surprise.

Director/Picture: The Departed. Yes! Congratulation to Mr. Scorsese and all involved.

Original Song: I thought one of the Dreamgirls numbers would win though like a third party candidate, I also wondered if having 3 songs in the same category would dilute the power of Dreamgirls a little giving way to another song. Melissa Etheridge took the Oscar home, which was a nice surprise but a surprise nonetheless. Her song is good and supports a great cause (uh, the environment) so good for her.

Best Documentary Feature: An Inconvenient Truth, the Academy voted and no one has requested a re-count so Al Gore still has his Oscar as of this morning!

Ellen was fun as host displaying her charming brand of awkwardness and accessibility to the Oscars.

That's all I have to say about that.

No comments: