Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Robbie Rehab


Have you heard of Robbie Williams? Probably, in the late 90's. He had a few trans-Atlantic hits namely "Rock DJ", "Millenium" and "Angels". "Rock DJ" had the crazy video where he stripped off his clothes, then skin, then even his muscles. You can see it by clicking here. The video for "Millenium" featured a handsome Robbie in a tuxedo. "Angels" was a lovely ballad that showed Robbie's depth as a song-writerthat Jessica Simpson unimpressively remade. The level of popularity for any of these songs in the U.S. has been minimal which is partly why Americans bought into Simpson's version of Angels. In the UK, Robbie has become a mega-star after coming out of a boy band, Take That. Think Justin Timberlake's post-N'Sync success expanded over a 10 year period.

If you haven't heard him, he is one of my favorite artists and someone I highly recommend so download a few songs on LimeWire and then when you like what you hear, buy an album!

People.com reported today that Robbie has entered rehab for an addiction to prescription drugs. This follows a previous stint in rehab for alcohol addiction. Robbie's latest album, Rudebox, features a song called "Good Doctor" which I found entertaining yet disturbing at each listen. It begins:

I went to the doctor to get a prescription,
I told a little fact and lots of fiction,
about a bad back that I ain't got
write this to wish Robbie luck.
He tried to sell me on faith healing, but I think not.
I want Xanax, Vicodin and Oxycontin...

The song goes on mentioning the names of many drugs and alludes to drug abuse.

Robbie is not unique in facing prescription drug abuse adding to the list of countless celebs who have or will enter rehab for it not to mention less-public person who are also suffering. Should "good doctors" that are prescribing drugs illigitimately be held responsible at some point? Probably. Yes, the addict is responsible for his/her actions but someone is an enabler.

I went to the doctor because my eye was hurt and red a few weeks ago. My doctor tried to convince me that I had a migraine and offered me medication for that. I was able to get a referral to an Opthamologist instead and it turned out I had a cornea infection and needed eye drops, not pills. How easy it would have been to get some painkillers though.

I wish Robbie luck and hope he is back on stage soon. I missed his last tour since he only performs in Europe but as a long-time fan, I've already planned on going overseas to see him next time he is around.

No comments: