Monday, February 26, 2007

Jury Duty

I warn you, this entry may disturb you. You see, the integrity of San Diego's jurisprudence was nearly compromised today...I was assigned jury duty. Fear not, I did not go, but postponed my service to a later date. Rest assured, a person who has recently found herself on leave, somewhat depressed, and indecisive about her future, has not entered into the employ of civic duty as a juror. I am sure today found in the jury, are only emotionally stable, rational people whether they be well-adjusted and well-tempered or possessing of undesirable ideas such as bigotry, racism, misogyny, homophobia, ageism, classism, narcissism, sexism, chauvinism or general dislike for anyone who serves as a defendant. You can feel confident that I am not amongst them.

Additionally, since there is a possiblity my insanity would be espoused by a jury of 11 additional people, and that the 11 other people on a jury would submit to my sadistic whims*** there is great fortune in my not attending. Juries are not composed of only one individual but it is possible a powerful individual such as myself could impact the outcome of a trial.

Why would you not want me as a juror? I am not sure you wouldn't but 2 people who know me quite well expressed surprise that I could go to jury duty while taking time away from my normal place of employment. Interestingly, I think that there is little other than the terse and tedious practice of voir dire to protect the accused from a rogue juror so it is a good thing my 2 friends stepped in. I had not thought of it but regardless, the views of 2 could be the view of many so San Diego's legal justice system is still safe now that I, an undesirable juror, has temporarily removed myself from the pool.

I will serve next time I'm called, pro bono. :)

***There is some sarcasm here and throughout because I was offended initially but now find funny the notion of my friends.

No comments: