Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Britney Bald?!?!?!

Just kidding. Yeah, Britney Spears shaved her head and yeah, she entered rehab (again--she thought it was a nightclub the first time) but this is really about PAN's LABYRINTH (El Laberinto del Fauno), a film from Mexico that is up for six Oscars including Best Foreign Film and Best Original Screenplay.

The director, Guillermo del Toro, will be familiar to American film-goers who may have seen Mimic, Hellboy or Blade 2.

The film was beautifully shot and is visually appealing beyond the unique story. As time since viewing the film has passed, I continue to recall parts of the film that were interesting or held greater meaning than I initially realized which makes the film even better.

There isn't much time until the Oscars and this is one that might make an impact on the Academy. I recommend seeing it this week if you can and if not, see it another time. There are subtitles but they are easy to read and follow. My recommendation to viewers is to let go and allow your imagination to come alive. I spent too much of the film thinking like a logical, unimaginative adult and did not enjoy it as I could have. I don't want to reveal the plot so that is all I will say.

Others to see before Sunday if you can: The Last King of Scotland, Letters from Iwo Jima, The Departed (now on DVD).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This blog is a TRICK! lol- Britney is LAME. I enjoy reading your blogs miss coon... and will continue to support your literary contributions .... LOVING IT!! :)