Wednesday, April 04, 2007

American Idol Top 9 Perform!

Another week, another Idol episode. This week Tony Bennett, one of my personal faves, was the guest on American Idol. It was clear that the contestants knew who Tony was and had respect for him which was a good thing. It is very frustrating when there is someone like him on the show, or someone who I as a music fan have great respect for is on the show, and it is clear the contestants don't really know who the artist is.

This season, for the most part, the Idol contestants are actual artists with a true appreciation and knowledge of the profession they are hoping to be a part of. It is a different season from last for me as there is no "Taylor", meaning there is no one I'm totally in love with, but there are a couple who I am passionate about and every week seeing them go up and perform and turn the songs into their own makes me happy and excited about what they'll do next.

Here is my opinion on this week's performances:

Blake Lewis (Mack the Knife): During the class with Tony, Blake went for a change in the tempo of the song. Tony called him on it and made the comment, "This song was written before rap," and explained a little about who "Mack the Knife" would have been (a tough gangster). It was interesting that Blake received this feedback when but not unusual since his creativity hasn't always been seen as beneficial to the original song (Diana Ross week). He wisely took the feedback and lent the proper style to the song. It was a solid performance and he looked good. It wasn't the best of the night but still, he should be back next week.

Phil Stacey (Night and Day): Tony paid Phil a great compliment about his voice. I have to agree that Phil does have a very nice, clear voice. My problem is just his look. He did improve that this week both with wardrobe and with hair. He still didn't really have hair though he had grown some shadow. The key was that he didn't wear a stupid hat. That is the worst look on him. Besides his looks, he did a nice job. The judges weren't that impressed but I actually was. There were a few lovely moments in the song and though there could have been more passion or sexiness involved, I think he gave a solid performance. I'm actually pro-Phil going to the next round.

Melinda Doolittle (I Got Rhythm): How cool is Melinda? She is one of my top contestants (not that I'm unique in that). She was great again and looked cute. I loved that she tells the story every time she sings a song. Randy mentioned this and Paula also talked about her having a beginning, middle and end to each song. Simon poked fun at that but I know what Paula is saying. The songs, even though they are excerpted, feel complete when Melinda sings. I don't know if it is her phrasing or the way she cuts the songs, but she always goes through to the entire feeling of the song. She has to be there next week!

Chris Richardson (Don't Get Around Much Anymore): Chris was cool tonight. That is the best word I can use to describe his performance. He respected the song but still made it his own and brought it into today. There are a few artists who cover the older songs and still add their own flavor and many who cover them in more of a mimic fashion. Chris has the ability to do the former and this earned him high marks from the judges. He looked great tonight too with a style that reminded of the past but also had today locked in.

Jordin Sparks ( ): This girl does not seem 17 at all. She is ridiculously talented and mature. It was pointed out that she differed from Chris in the fact that he took the song and made it young. It seems their biggest criticism of her is that she doesn't seem young enough but I think that is ok. If 'young' would compromise her, she should just be herself and sing as well as she does. Tony mentioned she had good instincts on changing the parts of the song she changed and it was great.

Gina Glocksen (Smile): I like Gina and thought her performance was sweet and vulnerable compared to her previous rockin' exhibits but I don't see her going much further in the competition. In comparing her to everyone else, she isn't on the same level. All of the people above are better performers and better singers. I wasn't digging her look tonight either and I think overall presentation there may hurt her. I don't know if it will be this week but we can expect her to be gone before the Top 5 I would think.

Sanjaya Malakar ( ): The judges have basically given up on even talking about his singing. They did say he performed well otherwise tonight which I have to say he did. He is an entertaining guy and reminded me of the Bollywood style. I still think this guy needs to go but whatever. There are a bunch of nerdy, thirty-something guys who are listening to Howard Stern tell them to vote for Sanjaya to keep him on the show and so they do. They are doing whatever they can to be cool since they aren't cool and think that doing what Howard says will make them cool. You're still not cool! Quit voting for Sanjaya! If you're a 12-year old girl who's in love with him fine but if you're a 34-year old guy trying to sabotage a show, grow up. :)

Hayley Scarnato ( ): Basically, if Sanjaya doesn't go, Hayley needs to. She's now the "legs" of the show. The judges didn't comment on her singing tonight for the most part, just her looks. I don't have much to say either. She is ok but not great and does have nice legs and a nice body. That's why her wardrobe is skimpy and she is still on the show. That's all I have to say about that.

LaKisha Jones ( ): Another solid performance. It is late so I'll say little else here but she should be on again. I think she, Jordin and Melinda are the greatest competitors and though i love Blake and Chris, I don't think they have much on these girls in this particular competition. As artists, they are all viable but I must say, I hope it is 2 girls battling it out in the end!

1 comment:

mike devlin said...

on Sanjaya, I recently read that votefortheworst.com is the 2nd most visited American Idol-related site. Might they account for more of the votes than the Howard Stern audience? I don't listen, so I wouldn't know, but his audience can't be all that big by now. But for all I know his listeners could be mobilized and dedicated enough to keep this guy around. Idol producers say that Sanjaya has been getting so many more votes than the loosers than the fake voting could account for.... which leads me to this- what is more damaging to the quality of the show, some aging hipsters playing a prank for a couple of weeks or legions of 12 year old girls who sincerely want Sanjaya to win? These are the same people who kept Kevin Covais and John Stevens around. I really wish that in the first 4 to 6 weeks they would do away with the affirmative voting approach and just let us vote the worst off.

Good takes on the show. Keep it up!