Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Country Week -- American Idol Top 6

Country music is not Simon Cowell's favorite, and historically is not the easiest for Idol contestants. That being said, this was a decent week for some and for one in particular more of a disappointment. Martina McBride was the guest and offered thoughtful advice that everyone should have listened to. I'll break it down from my perspective:

Phil Stacey: He did a good job this week though I just can't get past not liking his look. I think he wasn't the worst at all based on this week though and deserves to stick around. He was definitely in his groove with the country genre.

LaKisha Jones: Singing Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel", she over sang and overpowered a song that was probably just to simple for her big and soulful voice. She shouldn't have tried to sing the song as straight as she did. With a different arrangement, it would have been better. My hope is that she doesn't lose too many votes because it is this kind of performance at this stage in the competition that has hurt lesser contestants. Cross your fingers and hope that there is no upset tomorrow.

Chris Richardson: He wasn't awful this week but he also wasn't impressive. Chris probably won't make it past the Top 5 but he is one of my favorite to watch anyway, just in case he blows it out of the water.

Jordin Sparks: Again, this girl was amazing. She gave me chills and even brought herself to well up with tears. She is brilliant and at 17 shows an incredible amount of feeling in singing mature songs.

Sanjaya Malakar: I know I've consistently been hard on Sanjaya but this week he deserves it. Whatever about his hair...I don't even care anymore and actually I do think it is pretty cool that he can wear it any way and still look like a cute kid. His performance was simply not good tonight. When I heard he was singing "Something to Talk About" I thought, "well, maybe but I doubt he'll pull it off." He didn't. Like Randy and my roommate said, it was karaoke at best. I really think that he was the worst this week and should go. Cowell and Seacrest got into a little bickering match after Sanjaya's performance (the bickering between them is getting old) but Seacrest was off-base this time because Simon was right, it was really horrible.

Melinda Doolittle: Another solid performance so I'll talk about her hair. :) Melinda was very sassy and very cute tonight. She had extensions in her hair giving her a new, younger, fun look.

Blake Lewis: It is a toss up between him and Jordin this week but I think I may be most proud of Blake's performance and what he did with a Tim McGraw song. Without disrespecting or destroying the original song, Blake found an arrangement that worked well for him, his style, and his voice and literally made the song his own. It was different for him and he evoked the emotion of the song quite well.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Before I depart, I want to echo the sentiments of so many and say that my heart goes out to all of the families, students and others impacted by the shooting at Virginia Tech. There must be great pain for all involved and I cannot imagine for a moment what it must feel like to be the family of the shooter or the families of the victims. Peace be with you.

No comments: