Monday, January 14, 2008

The Bucket List


This was better than the critics say and I'd give it 5 stars but I know it is not the best film. I had to go more than 4 though because I did really, really love it. Nicholson has had more complex roles and so has Freeman. But, they gave a lot to this film and it was lovely. Nicholson and Freeman pulled off heartfelt, deep performances, not always seen in what would be considered a comedy as much as a drama and in such a mainstream film.

The men forged a friendship and found a way to live life, even when there was little left to live. So what if there was some cliche here and so what if there was some predictability. Going on the journey with these two men was cleansing and inspiring and made me remember some bad things but I was glad they were able to go where they did. The writer didn't rely on lengthy monologues to make important point but instead let the actions of the characters create poignancy.

I had to cry and really wanted to weep at the end of this film but didn't want to become a total wreck. It is a wonderful thing to feel that much every so often, even if it is the result of fiction.

I wholly recommend this film not because it will win awards but because everyone faces their own mortality and sooner the mortality of loved ones and the guys in The Bucket List is a wonderful way to face it.

Sean Hayes deserves mention too as his character and the way he played it added to every scene he was in and wasn't at all intimidated by those he was in the scenes with. It was fun to see him again.

No comments: