Saturday, December 31, 2005

Capote and Me

I'll start by saying it seems my life currently consists of only a few activities, one of which is going to the movies. That is obvious from this blog. I may see 3 or 4 this weekend but it is a good activity when in solitude, a place I have found myself lately. I also have Netflix which means, yes, I watch them at home too. I also go to work but will not talk about that here or anywhere online. People get fired for that sort of thing! Click here to learn more about that.) Since I've posted movie reviews almost exclusively, I'll include something else here along with my review. BTW, I hope that my reviews have been helpful to those reading them.

"Capote" is an excellent, interesting and worthwhile film. The performances are flawless and unless something truly spectacular happens in some other film, I think Philip Seymour Hoffman should prepare an acceptance speech for the upcoming awards season. At least one of the voting bodies who decides on "Best Actor" will have to recognize his performance. I need to re-read In Cold Blood now that I have the context of the author's history.

The film ignited in me again the idea that I do want to be a writer. I want to tell stories, fiction and non-fiction depending on my inspiration. Currently my private writings take the form of poetry or unstructured prose depending on how you look at them. Eventually though, I hope to develop a talent that like authors I have great respect for can grace "The New Yorker", bookshelves and also the screen. I thank you for indulging me here as I ponder this notion through short blog entries.

As you conclude this year and begin 2006, you may consider a list of resolutions. Add to that list remembering every so often to dream. What begins as a benign day can end in adventure when you do just that. Since I may not be up at midnight I sign off now and bid you a Happy New Year.

No comments: