Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Kong is King

As promised, a review of "King Kong": Overall this was a great movie. There were a few scenes (long ones) involving worms and other insects that weren't very friendly to my eyes. In fact, I elected not to look at the screen because I was just disgusted and it was making me to anxious. There are definitely things that could have been cut to make the movie less than 3 hours and 7 minutes long but once it's done, you don't really think about those scenes and just walk out of the theater knowing you saw a really good, entertaining, old-fashioned, "this is why movies are made" film. A timeless story can always be retold and though I haven't seen the original and cannot attest to this retelling being better than the first, I am confident that it can't be any worse. There was some great dialogue which was impressive because it outweighed any cheesiness that could have taken over. Jack Black usually drives me crazy (not in a good way) but this role fit him well. Colin Hanks is looking more like his father I think and did a fine job. Adrian Brody continues to show that he has been deserving of accolades he's gotten...very good. Naomi Watts is ever beautiful and ever the fine actress only getting better as she continues in her career. Bravo to Peter Jackson and his cast. I recommend "King Kong".

No comments: