Tuesday, December 20, 2005

The Producers

This seems to be turning into a movie review column but I saw another film that deserves props. "The Producers" has been made as a movie, has been a phenomenal hit on Broadway in its musical form and now takes to the big screen again, this time as a movie-musical. I went in having already seen the play on Broadway but not having seen it with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in the roles of Bialystock and Bloom. Some roles were expanded and some were more lively than I remember on stage. All in all, this is a good film and a good representation of the play. I was more entertained than I expected to be and feel lucky to have finally seen some of the original cast. Nathan Lane was an absolute delight. Matthew Broderick was entertaining but somewhat annoying at times...quite a few times. His character is neurotic but I don't remember the actor in the stage version I saw acting as obnoxiously about it. :) Will Ferrell is over-the-top at times but overall impressive. Uma Thurman must be mentioned. She has been mentioned. Honestly, she has been solid over and over in her performances and this simply revealed another layer of a highly talented woman. The rest of the supporting cast was fun and I could go on but I think you need to stop reading and start watching! Coming up this week..."Rumor Has It" and possibly "Brokeback Mountain".

No comments: