Saturday, March 03, 2007

Ain't No Other Christina Aguilera

I got dragged into seeing Christina Aguilera this evening. It was free which meant the price was right and I got to hang with a few friends that I don't see as much as I used to so that was also good. The Pussycat Dolls opened and that was cool and actually a lot of fun. Admittedly, I spent most of their set dancing in line for the restroom, finding an ATM and then in the beer line but still, they were good live, surprisingly, and one of the most exciting things about the show.

Christina was good. She has such a wonderful voice and I was impressed with her live because you could tell that she was really singing. Some, such as Madonna or Britney Spears, do not actually sing during their live shows citing their choreography as the reason that they can't sing. Christina was able to sing live and dance live, sometimes doing both at the same time. The show was a little slow and there was an S&M/pin-up element during the show at one point when a guy was handcuffed to a wall on the stage and teased. That might have been hot if the guy wasn't so gross. I think he was from the audience and if I could advise Christina of two things, one would be to make sure that she doesn't get a gross guy for that scene. A cooler, less desperate looking guy would have served her and the audience better. The other advice I would give would be to sing something more familiar in the midst of the 2nd act. I got a little bored at one point.

The encore consisted of Beautiful and Stronger, two of her best songs and biggest hits so she definitely went out on a high note.

Overall, it was a pretty cool show and if you can get a decent price on a ticket, I would recommend seeing the little girl with the big voice.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Those are fighting words about Madonna...I can agree she isn't the best singer, but when she's live, you can tell she's singing because it isn't perfect. Britney on the other hand...caca.

I had a friend go to the Aguilera concert and he said it was very boring even though she sounded good.

Rabiah said...

Hey bro, I liked Madonna live but that doesn't change the fact that she doesn't sing. I'm from the Elton John school of insult...I respect them even when I say something bad about them. :) It is just cool that Christina or Janet can sing and dance at the same time, consistently.
It isn't a bad thing anyway because you want to see the choreography, it is just a fact. I haven't seen Brit live but can't imagine I've missed anything at all. I'd pay $100+ for Madonna however, like I have before.
Thanks for readin' yo. Don't hate the writer, hate the...well, just don't hate!

Anonymous said...

So if Miss Madonna doesnt REALLY sing, then why in the heck does she insist on having the AC off during her performances to help her throat and vocal chords? That is just plain rude to make us all sweat it out if she's not even singing!!

Rabiah said...

Okay "Anonymous"--I have heard your complaint, even if it is lip-synched. She sings some songs but not all of them...it's ok. She's great. I'd go see her on stage in a leotard anytime. :)