Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Idol Top 6 Redux

The Top 6 were back for another week on American Idol this time with Jon Bon Jovi himself as their teacher. Idol did remedy a consistent complaint I've had this season has been that the contestants don't sing the guest artists' songs. This week though, the daunting task of the Top 6 was to sing Bon Jovi. It was not easy for any of them but it was a good show. I'll break it down for you though I don't recall exactly what song everyone sang.

Phil Stacey: (Blaze of Glory): He was ok. The judges made a big thing of Phil but I'm just not into him.

LaKisha Jones (This Ain't A Love Song): LaKisha was a hot one tonight. She even landed a kiss from Simon after her performance. Seriously though, she handled the rock song very well and it was a sexy performance.

Jordin Sparks (Livin' on a Prayer"): I think I just really like Jordin and that makes it tough for me to ever say she didn't do a fantastic job. I guess this week though, she really didn't. She is a great singer and one of the Top 2 in my opinion but this wasn't her week.

Blake Lewis (You Give Love a Bad Name): Finally Blake got to do some beat boxing again. I think that it is always risky when he does it but also shows him to be an artist rather than just a wannabe pop star. I thought this was awesome! It is so great that he is able to create his own arrangements and get the respect of other artists that way.

Chris Richardson (Wanted Dead or Alive): Seacrest referred to Chris as "Justin Timberlake" when doing his introduction and had Seacrest acknowledged Chris' reaction it could have turned into one of those awkward Idol moments but he didn't and you had to be paying little attention to see that Chris was displeased by the reference. It is not an insult to be called JT but it also isn't great when you're trying to be your own person and win this show. Chris was pretty good this week and I think he is a strong contestant but with 2 people going this week, I can't say that I'm not hoping he's one of them. I won't be happy to see him go but I really don't want Blake, Melinda, LaKisha or Jordin gone just yet.

Melinda Doolittle (Have a Nice Day): This woman just makes me smile. I love seeing Melinda and she rocked it tonight! The difference between her and Jordin is all of the experience Melinda has that allowed her to "get" rock this week. She came in not knowing how to sing rock but she was able to bring it. Yes! The judges likened Melinda to a young Tina Turner tonight and that sums her up. She brought the attitude.

Incidentally, I visited the iTunes Store and found that the banner ad at the top of the home page is for Idol Gives Back and Bon Jovi's new album. Lucrative.

For some reason, Idol decided to have George W. and Laura B. on which almost made me sick. Dubya did mention Bono specifically which was clearly a political move and Laura and he made fun of the dancing episode he had last week. I guess it is ok that he was on the show but I'm not a fan and would rather have seen Bono again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, this was a great show. I can honestly say that everyone tried their hardest and all sounded better because of it. Jordin did kind of bomb, but she was so honest about it that she may stay in.

Blake, LaKisha and Melinda really hit it way out of the park. Blake did something that no one has done before on Idol, and it was just so exciting. AND I love his new hair...very sexy.

Phil was really good too, but I know you're not a huge fan. If I had to vote, I'd say Jordin (as much as I like her) and Chris (you KNOW I like him) should go based on the singing.

But based on past performances, Chris, Phil and LaKisha are all at risk. The shocker could be Blake going because I think Simon was right that some would love that and others would hate it.

It's getting that time of the season where I get so nervous watching! As for GWB and LWB (who knows what her middle name is...as if!), awkward. I was waiting for them to say that US would match the $70 million, but then again, that'd actually be 3 seconds of war money. Oh snap, there I go being political! Miss you R-dawg! JR